PUBS WITH NO BEER
During the boom years at the time of the building of Barry Docks, speculators invested heavily (over £50,000) in the building of public houses and hotels. The Barry Temperance Society, who were very strong in the area, objected to the granting of licenses. The movement was very successful, and out of a total of 26 applications submitted, only 13 were granted.
The New Dock Hotel was located on the corner of Laura Street and Cardiff Road. Built for S.A. Brain in the late 1880's and subsequently used as school for "slow" children, and later to become the accounts department for Midland Silicones. When the accounts department moved to new offices on the Midland Silicones site it became a social club for Midland Silicones Employees. It is now Grange Court flats.
The Station Hotel was on the corner of Morlais Street and Cardiff Road, and was used as flats for many years. It was then taken over by the Council as temporary accommodation and re-named Morlais Court. It has since been demolished, and is now an open grass space.
The Glebe Hotel was on Arthur Street at the junction of the railings of the Palmerston Estate. It was subsequently demolished by local builder W. Peacock & Sons, who built houses on the site.
The Palmerston Hotel, at the junction of Palmer Street and Dobbins Road has been used as flats since its licence was refused.
The Osborne Hotel, at the junction of Vere Street and Gladstone Road, and is noe the Cadoxton Conservative Club. In its lifetime it has had a varied usage. At one time part of the building was used by J. Feltz as a small factory until the Silk Factory was built on what is now Safeways.
The Cadoxton Hotel in Lower Holmes Street was built by speculators who thought that a road, and not the railway, was going to be built in front of the entrance. It was used as a barracks by troops during the First World War, 1914-18. After the Second World War, European refugees set up a laboratory there, and were responsible for the invention of NCR (No Carbon Required) paper. The building was later used as an office by Messrs Hawkins & Holmes, Building Contractors, and is now named EOS House.
The Queens Hotel, at the junction of Weston Hill and Hilary Rise was used for many years as The South Wales Bible College. The best known minister to receive his training there was Reverend Ian Paisley. On the closure of the college it was converted to flats, and is now Hilary Mews.
The Court Hotel was built at the junction of Court Road and Chilcote Street. In the early 1900's it opened as the Court Laundry, owned by Mr G. Ball. In the 1940's the laundry was operated by Mr Harry Thomas, known to all as "Harry the Wash". It was later operated by Mr Briscombe. On its closure the building was converted into flats, now known as Court Mews. The stabling quarters of the hotel was used by Lever Bros Corn Merchants for many years, and then by Cliff Morgan for the same business. It later became a joinery works for Messrs Woodroffe, an office and depot for D. Hopkins Painting contractors, and lastly as a joinery works for R. James. It has now been demolished.
The Barry Dock Hotel was located at the corner of Holton Road and Castleland Street. It was converted into Amy Evans Voluntary Hospital, and the name transferred to Culley's Hotel, in Dock View Road.
The Sea View Hotel in Dock View Road was used during the First World War as one of the many temporary hospitals for troops injured in France and brought into Barry Docks by hospital ships. It is now the Sea View Labour Club.
The Woodlands Hotel at the junction of Tynewydd Road and Woodlands Road was used for many years as a children's clinic, then as offices for the Parks, Entertainments and Public Health Departments. It was finally demolished and a children's play area built on site.
The Alexandra Hotel at the corner of Newlands Street and Woodlands Road was bought by Mr John Cory and given to the YMCA when it outgrew its premises in High Street. The building was used for a great many years until finally the club needed more modern and up-to-date premises. It moved to new premises in Court Road and the building was sold to Messrs Dan Evans, and is now used as a storage depot. Like many other hotels it looks as though it will also be converted into flats.
The Imperial Hotel in Gladstone Road suffered from a number of major design defects. Plans were submitted to the licensing authority for the construction of this hotel, but upon examination it was found that the drainage was to run up Gladstone Road. This combined with other major defects, and the hotel was never built.
The successful hotels that obtained licences were:-
The Marine Hotel, the Ship Hotel, and the Wenvoe Arms (now the Admiral) obtained licenses by transferring them from licensed premises and demolishing the older buildings.
The Three Bells, King William IV, and the Colcot Arms already held licences and did not need to apply.
© T. CLEMETT 1999